Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Buy One, Get One...Well...for Double the Cost

Today I went back to see my favorite South African Ortho surgeon to discuss the results of my NCS and EMG tests. Since the tests only showed a mild recurrence of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (which I'm told never completely goes away) in my right arm, Dr. Millard advised me to give the nerve more time to heal and to do some nerve stretches. Nerves can take months if not years to heal so I'm stuck dealing with the recurring pain in my right arm.

I also asked Dr. Millard about the mystery bump which had appeared just on the outside of the bony tip on the right elbow. He said it was likely a slipped tendon but he hadn't done any work on that side of the elbow at all so it wasn't related to the surgery. I also told him that most people who have a Subcutaneous Transposition report 3-6 inch scars and the pics look pretty ugly but he somehow managed to give me this really faint 2 inch scar. His response was that he always thought he should have been a plastic surgeon!

Anyway, the tests had also confirmed Carpal Tunnel and Guyon Canal Syndromes in my left arm which was previously undiagnosed. At this point, Dr. Millard said the way to proceed was up to me. But given the history I had with my right arm, he suggested that I'd eventually end up having surgery but he couldn't advise when. So I can wait until the arm gets worse or go ahead with surgery now while it's still not that bad. My feeling on it is that it will be easier to recovery if the damage is less severe and I'd also rather get it over with.

The good news is that since this is my left arm and there's no indication of Cubital Tunnel Syndrome in my elbow, I'll only have to miss a few days of work and then I should be okay to return and just take things slow with one hand. I can also work from home if needed. So my second surgery is scheduled for April 26th, a little over 6 months after the first one. I'll have to withdraw from school for the Spring quarter but I should be pretty well healed by the Summer session.

No comments:

Post a Comment